Friday, March 11, 2011

Sketches Here and There

A meager offering of doodles from last year's Moleskine sketchbook/journal.

Life sketches of a pair of green herons that began building a nest (but as far as I know, didn't lay any eggs) at the BNC pond last summer.

I watched one of them repeatedly dropping twigs into the water and initially thought s/he was simply a little clumsy, but when I read up on green herons I found that they are one of the only bird species that actually use tools! Apparently they will drop an object (a twig, blade of grass, leaf, etc.) onto the surface of a pond and then pounce on the fish that are attracted to the disturbance! I can't believe I got to observe this tool usage firsthand.

Mouse sketches (deermice mostly):


American kestrels:

The drawing on the left page, top right is from a photo I took at Kiptopeke State Park. The Coastal Virginia Wildlife Observatory bands both raptors and songbirds there--it's a fantastic opportunity to see some awesome species up cloase and the banders are always happy to answer questions.

Sketches from life at the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair:


Life sketches of my sister's boyfriend's mutant chihuahua, Bubbles:



2 comments:

Murr Brewster said...

I like.

The chihuahua looks like a similar organism that was a guest in our house recently. He scanned every centimeter of the floor for crumbs and never stopped once. We called him Roomba.

Catbird said...

I could swear that Chihuahua picture is quivering; how'd you do that? Your work's terrific. More, please!